Heya bloggers, so you bought domain and hosting. Installed WordPress. And pulled your socks to jump into the blogosphere.
But hey, wait a bit. Have you installed plugins yet ? Read on if your answer is no, or if you want to know about the Must have plugins for your WordPress blog.
In our previous post we wrote about What are plugins and how to install them ?
WordPress is incomplete without plugins. Plugins are tools to extend the functionality of WordPress. Just as you install different apps in your phone to enhance its functionality and to perform various tasks, in a similar manner plugins help you to make out the most of your WordPress blog.
1. Akismet : Akismet comes with WordPress itself. But in order to activate this plugin, you will need to feed it with the Akismet API key. You can get your Akismet Key from Akismet.com . Akismet is very essential for blocking comment spam. Once installed, you can sit back and write articles instead of wasting your time on filtering comments.
2. WP Touch : Gone are the days when people used to surf only via their computers. These days everyone carries a smartphone along with them, and surf websites from it. Here is where WP Touch comes handy. WP Touch helps you to create a mobile friendly edition of your blog.
3. WP Super Cache : This plugin generates static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier and more expensive WordPress PHP scripts. Thus it reduces the loading time of your blog and thereby making your blog superfast.
4. WP-Optimize : Wp Optimize optimizes the database by running the optimize SQL command, removing post revisions, spam and unapproved comments. It’s essential if you don’t manually manage your database or run your own optimization scripts. It also includes functionality to rename users, useful for changing the default admin user. So this plugin helps to reduce your database size and also keep it clean.
5. WordPress SEO by Yoast : WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin helps you to rewrite your post title for Search Engines. It gives you the option to choose your focus keyword and also provides you to add meta description to your article. Thus, this plugin is very important from the SEO aspect.
6. Digg Digg : With Digg Digg by Buffer, you have an all in one social sharing plugin for your blog. Display all social sharing buttons nicely on your blog. With the help of this plugin, your blog viewers can easily share your articles to their social networks and thus giving more exposure to your blog.
7. Google XML sitemap : This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and Ask.com to better index your blog. With such a sitemap, it’s much easier for the crawlers to see the complete structure of your site and retrieve it more efficiently. The plugin supports all kinds of WordPress generated pages as well as custom URLs. Additionally it notifies all major search engines every time you create a post about the new content.
8. Fast Secure Contact Form : A “Contact Us” page is must for every blog, as it helps your blog readers to send you their suggestions, queries etc. Here comes into play this plugin. This plugin allows a webmaster to easily create and add contact forms to WordPress. The contact form will let the user send emails to a site’s admin. An administration panel is present, where the webmaster can create and preview unlimited forms.
9. Yet Another Related Posts Plugin : This plugin adds the “other posts you might be interested in” type links at the bottom of stories, which is a great way of keeping visitors on a site by providing links to other related content. This helps to engage your readers on your blog and thus helps in reducing your blog’s bounce rate.
10. Smush.it : Last, but not the least. Smush.it is an image optimizer service from Yahoo that can reduce the size of your images by around 10-40% without any loss in quality, and with this plugin your images will automatically be run through the service (they’re still hosted on your server though). There’s also a bulk option to do all your previously uploaded images too. So this plugin will help to reduce your database size and also make your blog faster.
That’s it. These are the must important plugins that all blogs must have. Did i missed something ? Feel free to remind me, via the comments. Your comments are always welcome and highly appreciated.
Also, if you think that this blog post can be of some help to your newbie blogger friends, then kindly consider it sharing via Facebook, Twitter etc.